Why You Might Want to Scrape the Frosting Off Your Slice of Birthday Cake

Blowing out candles on a cake is a popular tradition and a fascinating study by Clemson University researchers looked into the bacteria transfer that takes place in the process.

And next time you attend a birthday party you might also want to reconsider accepting a slice of cake because according to a new study, blowing out candles increases the level of bacteria by a revolting 1,400 per cent.

On average, the study found that blowing out the candles caused the frosting to grow 14 times as much bacteria.

Although the results are shocking, the researchers insist that while the human mouth is full of bacteria, most of them are not harmful and that you should be fine to eat birthday cake if someone has blown out candles.

Related topics

bacteria, birthday cake

Section Food


Here’s What Really Happens When You Swallow Chewing Gum

Countless, possibly even almost all, children have been warned of the dangers of swallowing gum, be they its supposed 7-year digestion period or the equally long time it will stay in one’s system. Regardless of how the news of one’s unfortunate fate is phrased, it’s just not true.